• October is a busy month in the vegetable garden. Good preparation done in August and September will now begin to reward you.
• October is an important month for sowing or planting vegetables including Asian greens, beans, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, capsicum, carrot, cauliflower, celery, cress, cucumber, eggplant, kohlrabi, leek, lettuce, onions, parsnip, peas, pumpkins, squash, radish, spinach , swede, potato, strawberries, sweet potato, tomato, turnip, zucchini and sweetcorn.
• October is also the perfect time to plant small fruit such as passionfruit, strawberries, and blueberries.
• Feed citrus trees this month with a good citrus and fruit tree fertilizer. Spread out to the drip line of the tree and water well after applying.
• Plant out fresh herb plants this month such as for summer use. Favourites include Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Marjoram, and Oregano. Herbs do well in pots and baskets. It is a good idea to plant mint in a pot as it can be very invasive in the garden.
• October is also tomato month. Plant out tomato seedlings and be sure to stake taller varieties at time of planting. Water well as the warmer weather begins. When watering during the growing season avoid wetting the leaves and foliage of tomato plants. Feed tomato plants regularly with liquid tomato food.
The information provided in this blog post is general. To find out more information more specific to your location please contact your closest contributor.